The best baseball radar gun gives you an amazing insight into exactly what the baseball is doing out there in the field.
Ok, so we know it’s totally awesome just being at a baseball game, but if you want to take your excitement to the next level by actually getting to know so much more about just how that baseball’s moving, then thanks to the use of baseball radar guns it’s possible to do just that.
Useful for tracking ball speeds in spectator sports such as baseball, tennis, and cricket and perfect for coaches to use as training aids and who knows, maybe even help to produce the future sports stars of tomorrow.
Baseball spin rate can now be monitored, along with across the plate speed and peak speed amongst loads of other options, giving you real time information as to how your favorite player is performing.
We’ve taken a look at the best baseball radar guns available and reviewed them for you so that you can decide for yourself which radar gun is best for you.
The Best Baseball Radar Guns Reviewed
|Editor’s Choice||Brand||Click Image To Read Review|
|Best Baseball Radar Gun for Real Time Ball Spin Rate||Stalker Pro IIs Sports Radar|
|Best Baseball Radar Gun for Wireless Connectivity||Stalker Radar Pro II + (PLUS) Radar Gun Deluxe Package|
|Best Value for Money Baseball Radar Gun||Stalker Sport 2 Radar – Scout Package|
|Best Baseball Radar Gun for Coaching||Pocket Radar Smart Coach/Bluetooth App Enabled Radar Gun|
|Alternative Best Baseball Radar Gun for Coaching||Pocket Radar Ball Coach/Pro-Level Speed Training Tool and Radar Gun|
|Best Baseball Radar Gun Budget Option||Bushnell Velocity Speed Gun|
Click below to jump to each section in this review.
- Best for Real Time Ball Spin Rate
- Best for Wireless Connectivity
- Best Value for Money
- Best for Coaching
- Alternative Best for Coaching
- Best Budget Option
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Worthy Mentions
Best Baseball Radar Gun for Real Time Ball Spin Rate: Stalker Pro IIs Sports Radar
Best Baseball Radar Gun for Real Time Ball Spin Rate
This feature packed baseball radar gun from Stalker Sport works in real time so you get to know instantly all the important pitch analytics information such as spin rate as it’s happening.
This really is the most technically advanced baseball radar gun out there. Not only has it got spin rate reading capabilities but it’s even got wireless technology built in too so you can set it to communicate with wireless LED speed signs easily, without all the hassle of running cables about if you wish to.
The Stalker Pro IIs features directional radar, what this means is that pitch speeds moving towards it or away from it can be recorded. So you can choose to display pitch speed and ball rotation, or pitch speeds and hit speeds at the same time.
Being able to view pitch analytics instantly adds tremendously to the excitement of the game, not only can you keep updated with peak and across the plate velocity but with the Stalker Pro IIs radar gun, you can also find out the spin rate of the baseball up to 150 feet too, cool !
Information is displayed instantly in an LCD display window at the rear of the radar gun.
Information telling you spin rate is shown in the top left hand corner of the screen.
The displayed spin rate information can be swapped to show you the hit speed rate, ranging from 1 to 150 MPH if you prefer to know that instead.
The readout can also be set to show km/r if preferred.
For maximum sensitivity there are 4 range settings, there’s also a low speed setting of 50 MPH and a high speed setting of 150 MPH.
The top right hand corner of the screen shows you the roll-down, across the plate speed. And because what we really want to keep an eye on is the peak speed rate, the main larger displayed figures show you this information clearly.
Mounted below the display window are the keypad controls:
- Transmit – Enables you to turn the transmitter on or off to wirelessly connected devices such as speed readout signs.
- Recall – Whilst in radar mode, you can display the highest peak speed or the last 10 speeds recorded and stored. Or if menu mode is selected then you have the option to decrease the settings for a chosen menu item.
- Peak – This button lets you turn on or off, peak speed readout.
- Menu – Straightforward enough, here you can navigate the menu system enabling you to get to the menu item that you want to change.
- Select – This gives you the option of changing the settings in a chosen menu item.
- On/Off – Turns the Stalker Pro IIs on or off.
Power to the Pro IIs is from a high capacity 3700 mAh rechargeable battery unit nicely concealed in the detachable trigger handle.
This powerful battery pack gives usage times of 4.5 hours for continuous transmitting, or 11-13 hours is possible if using the trigger mode to operate the radar gun.
Charging the battery can be done with either the handle in place in the radar gun or detached for charging in an optional charging stand via a wall adaptor for your house electrical outlet.
Alternatively, a car or truck 12 volt DC power supply, such as used for a cigarette plug also can be used to charge the Stalker Pro IIs.
As for those days at the game when the weather is either baking hot, blowing up a dust storm or throwing down rain, you won’t have to worry about this radar gun getting damaged as it’s dust and waterproof rated to Ip67.
What We Like:
- Feature Packed Radar Gun – This radar gun does the lot and does it in real time too, you get the information you want instantly.
- Amazing Battery Life – Super powerful 3700 mAh rechargeable battery unit gives usage times of 4.5 hours for continuous transmitting, or 11-13 hours if using the trigger mode to operate the radar gun.
- Clear Easy To Read Display – All the information displayed to you clearly on the LCD display screen.
- Great Connectivity Options – Wireless technology means no more running cables about to speed readout signs, just easily link the radar gun wirelessly to compatible speed readout signs.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Baseball Radar Gun for Wireless Connectivity: Stalker Radar Pro II + (PLUS) Radar Gun Deluxe Package
Best Baseball Radar Gun for Wireless Connectivity
Giving you all the in game information right when you want it.
Keep track of ball speed not only in baseball but also in cricket, tennis and carnival use.
If you like living life in the fast lane, then you’ll be thrilled to hear that this radar gun is perfect for tracking vehicle racing speeds too.
This Stalker Pro II + is packed full of the latest technology, giving you instant information right when you want it.
When you’re at the game, carnival, car or boating race you could just watch as the event plays out, or you could really get involved and take your interest up to the next level.
That’s what this radar gun can do, it’ll give you instant information such as the speed of cars, boats, cricket, tennis and of course baseballs.
Where this radar gun really excels is in the relaying of this information, it receives the information and with the new faster processor it processes it instantly. This information is then clearly displayed on the LCD display screen neatly positioned at the rear of the radar gun.
The Stalker Pro II + has built in wireless technology, this opens up all sorts of options with regard to displaying that processed information.
Forget running cables about to link the radar gun to visual display signs, linking this unit is easy via the built in wireless mode.
Wireless streaming of velocity readings to stadium scoreboards and LED speed signs is easily achieved, this is great for events where you want to share that information with people around you.
Wireless configuration is easy and if you have compatible wireless signs each one can be set with its own separate ID. Alternatively, you can share the information on your own private network setup and invite only the people you want to share the information with.
The Pro II + has a really clear easy to read display window positioned perfectly at the rear of the radar gun.
Displayed information in the radar guns display window consists of (top left corner) configuration settings such as MPH, KM/H, Knots, ball, car, etc.
Upper right hand corner shows the secondary speed and direction information.
The main display with the larger digits shows the main speed of interest, and there’s a directional arrow indicator to show if the measurement is being taken towards the radar gun or away from the radar gun.
The keypad controls mounted below the display screen are easy to access and use, they consist of:
- Transmit – This button enables you to turn the transmitter on or off to wirelessly connected devices such as speed readout signs or private networks.
- Recall – This is a really useful addition because whilst in radar mode, you can display the highest peak speed or the last 10 speeds recorded and stored. Alternatively, if menu mode is selected then you have the option to decrease the settings for a chosen menu item.
- Peak – A simple selection button, this button lets you turn on or off, peak speed readout.
- Menu – Here you can navigate the menu system enabling you to get to the menu item that you want to change.
- Select – Here you have the option of changing the settings in a chosen menu item.
- On/Off – Turns the Stalker Pro II + power on or off.
To help get the best, most accurate readouts possible, the included instruction manual gives you detailed setup information for getting the best out of this radar gun. Take the recommended baseball settings for example:
- Target type – you would select ball.
- Low speed – set the radar gun to 50 MPH.
- High speed – set the radar gun to 150 MPH.
- Range – set to 4 for high sensitivity.
- Peak – set to on to show ball release speed.
- Auto clear delay – set for 2 seconds, shows after target loss and holds the display for 2 seconds before clearing the reading.
The Stalker Pro II+ has a powerful battery pack which gives usage times of 4.5 hours for continuous transmitting, alternatively, 11-13 hours of usage is possible if using the trigger mode to operate the radar gun.
As for recharging the 3700 mAh battery pack, this can be done with either the handle in place in the radar gun or detached for charging in an optional charging stand via a wall adaptor for your house electrical outlet. Also in car charging is possible with a 12VDC supply.
What We Like:
- Wireless Connectivity – Wireless streaming of velocity readings to stadium scoreboards and LED speed signs or even your own personal network set up is possible.
- Clear Easy To Read Display – Easy to read LED display window gives you the information instantly.
- Long Battery Life – Gives usage times of 4.5 hours for continuous transmitting, alternatively an amazing 11-13 hours of usage is possible if using the trigger mode to operate the radar gun.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Value for Money Baseball Radar Gun: Stalker Sport 2 Radar – Starter Package
Best Value for Money Baseball Radar Gun
This radar gun offers great value for money, packed full of features giving you all the important in game ball information you need.
A radar gun is basically a speed measuring device, we all know that, but this radar gun is optimized for use in baseball applications.
Weighing just 1.75 lbs and measuring only 6.5 x 3 x 8 inches, this radar gun is capable of capturing release speed and plate speed simultaneously. Boasting a 300 foot measuring range means that even though you always want to be close to the action, using this radar gun means that you don’t always have to be.
Speed readings of between 5 and 150 MPH are possible with an accuracy of +/- 1 mph you can be pretty confident that the processed information on the LCD display screen is very much true as to what is happening in the field of play.
Mounted at the rear of the radar gun, the LCD display screen provides you with instant, clear and easy to read information, that’s something that this radar gun excels at.
The in screen LCD display icons relay important information such as:
- Store – this is on when you recall speeds from the saved recall queue.
- Lo Bat – pretty much self explanatory, this icon starts to blink, letting you know that the battery pack needs to be recharged or replaced.
- Xmit – this icon indicates that the radar gun is transmitting and that it’s ready to take readings.
- Peak – this indicates that the peak mode window is on and ready to display peak speed readings.
Below the LCD display screen are the function buttons, this is where you choose exactly what you want the radar gun to do and focus on.
The function buttons consist of:
- Menu – Enables you to enter the menu system to select features that you wish to change.
- Recall – This handy feature displays the last 5 recorded speeds.
- Select – When a menu feature is selected, this button can be used to change the settings for that feature.
- Transmit – This turns the transmitter on and off for continuous use instead of trigger use.
As you can see it’s a really user friendly radar gun, which is why this model is so popular with fans and professionals alike.
Power to the radar gun is via 6 AA batteries, most of the current is drawn from the batteries when it is transmitting, so the run time depends upon how often the gun is transmitting.
As an idea as to how long you can expect to use the radar gun before the batteries start to fail, you can expect around 5 hours of use in continuous operation mode.
If you were to use the trigger mode to operate the radar gun, then you should expect to get around 10 – 11 hours of use out of the batteries.
What We Like:
- Great Value For Money – Packed full of features to really get you involved in the game, at a great price too.
- Easy To Use – Simple easy to follow instructions gets you set up to get the information you want to know about all the in game action.
- Great Battery Life – Around 5 hours of use in continuous operation mode, and around 10 – 11 hours for trigger use mode.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Baseball Radar Gun for Coaching: Pocket Radar Smart Coach/Bluetooth App Enabled Radar Gun
Best for Coaching
Take the guesswork out of your training routine and fine tune your skills with this all in one speed and video training, smart coach.
Thanks to modern technology you can now create a digital record of your training progress that can be shared with friends and family.
Accurate measurement of ball speeds in sports such as Baseball, Tennis, Softball, Hockey, Volleyball, Cricket and Lacrosse helps to give coaches real data to compare when using or trying different training techniques.
The Pocket Radar baseball gun smart coaching system is used by MLB and college coaches it provides important insights into metrics such as exit velocity, serve and pitch speeds. This makes it possible for coaches to optimize their training methods and help the individual to improve their technique, and in doing so improve their game.
Measuring just 2.3 x 4.7 x 0.8 inches (W x H x D) and weighing only 4.5 ounces with 2 AAA batteries fitted, this compact speed radar is easy to hold and easy to use.
- Instant feedback with remote speed display along with audible speed announcements.
- Tracking results over time with Instant history review and data export.
- Get speed readings instantly and also record videos with embedded speeds at the same time.
- Review mechanics and results with speed embedded in the recorded video.
- Capture and share videos with speed for remote coaching applications.
- Upload your training session videos to other training/recruiting software and apps.
Capable of measuring ball or puck speeds ranging from 25 to 130 MPH, at a range of 120 feet for baseball with an accuracy of +/- 1 MPH you can be sure that the information being relayed to you via the smart coach is as close to the real deal as you are going to get.
Battery life is pretty good too, using the included high drain Alkaline batteries in manual mode you can expect to take around 1,500 readings.
If you choose to use NiMH rechargeable batteries (not included) then you should expect around 3000 readings in manual mode.
Battery life with the Smart Coach Radar in constant mode is still respectable, the included high drain Alkaline batteries give you around an hour of constant use. If you choose to use NiMH rechargeable batteries (not included) then you should expect to get over 2 hours use out of them in constant mode.
Another great power supply option is the use of a USB power pack, these power packs boost usage time from 6 to 48 hours depending upon the power pack output.
Unfortunately, a power pack isn’t included in the training bundle but if you need more playtime from this Smart Coach than the batteries are giving you, then the power pack option is definitely worth considering.
Compatibility wise if you have an Apple device running iOS 10 and above, or an Android device running OS 6.0 and above then your good to go with this Smart Coach Radar Gun.
What We Like:
- Digital Training Record – Instantly review training methods and technique progress as you go along.
- Remote Display – Helps to see in an instant how you are progressing, the instant training and video analysis helps you to improve your game as you train.
- Information Right When You Want It – Instant feedback of speed results with remote speed display along with audible speed announcements.
- Compact – Measuring only 2.3 x 4.7 x 0.8 inches (W x H x D) and weighing just 4.5 ounces, this Smart Coach can be carried around easily in your pocket.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Alternative Best Baseball Radar Gun for Coaching: Pocket Radar Ball Coach/Pro-Level Speed Training Tool and Radar Gun
Alternative Best for Coaching
Train better with this Pocket Radar Ball Coach, perfect that swing and improve your technique with instant screen readouts.
This is a great training set up, you get the Pocket Radar Ball Coach, 4 AAA Batteries complete with battery charger, a sturdy 57″ tripod, a pocket-sized spring tripod mount for smartphones and a handy microfibre cleaning cloth.
We all know that practice makes perfect, but if you want to get perfection faster then having a good coach certainly helps.
That’s where this Pocket Radar Ball Coach comes in so useful, designed specifically to measure the speed of a ball in flight, it’s a great training aid for sports such as baseball, tennis, volleyball, hockey, cricket, and lacrosse.
Super easy to use, all that you need to do to get the speed results are to hold the button down before the target ball is in flight, then release the button when the ball is played.
The Pocket Radar Ball Coach is capable of measuring speeds from 25 to 130 MPH, (accurate to within 1 MPH) and has a range of up to 125 feet.
So when you’re practicing hitting power, pitching speeds, throwing speeds, serving and shot speeds each result is instantly displayed right there for you to annalize.
What We Like:
- Great Training Kit – Everything you need in one box, just charge the batteries up and you’ll be set to start working with your new coach.
- Super Easy To Use – Simply hold the button down before the target ball is in flight, then release the button when the ball is played.
- Good Speed And Range Measurement – Speeds from 25 to 130 MPH and distance range of 125 feet.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Baseball Radar Gun Budget Option: Bushnell Velocity Speed Gun
Best Budget Option
If you want an accurate ball speed radar gun but don’t want to dig too deep into your pockets to buy one, then this is the ideal choice for you.
This budget range velocity speed gun is low on price but high on features, capable of measuring ball speeds of between 10 and 110 MPH at a distance of up to 90 feet away with an accuracy of within 1 MPH.
Perfect for velocity measurement, it’s just a case of point and shoot to get the readings displayed in the large easy to read rear LCD display screen in an instant.
Weighing just 19 ounces and only 4.3 X 8.4 X 6 inches (W x H x D) this speed gun is a breeze to use for long periods of time.
Powered by 2 (not included) alkaline “C” batteries you get plenty of use ( over 500 readings) out of the speed gun before you need to replace the batteries.
This Bushnell Velocity Speed Gun comes with a 2 year warranty for your peace of mind, this long warranty period is also a really good indication as to how well made this budget option choice is.
What We Like:
- Budget Price – But you get a very usable, extremely accurate velocity speed gun.
- Great Speed Range – Tracking ball speeds up to 110 MPH.
- Good Distance Range – Ball distance range of up to 90 feet away.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use a radar gun in baseball?
The first thing you should do before you start using a radar gun is to check that the batteries providing the power to the radar gun have sufficient charge in them, otherwise you may get false speed readings when using the radar gun.
After it’s been established that the batteries have sufficient charge then you can turn on the radar detector and select the desired mode.
Most radar guns these days will have a continuous and trigger mode option. The continuous mode option allows you to detect the speed of an object without having to press a trigger or any buttons to get a reading.
Alternatively, when the radar gun is set to the trigger mode option, you have to then press the trigger of the gun each time at the moving target in order to detect the speed of the moving object.
Most radar guns have a range limit of around 150 feet, standing too close to the moving object doesn’t mean that you will get better readings. It is always better, and safer to have a distance of at least 25 feet between you and the target object.
Of course the bigger the detection range of your radar gun the greater the distance you can put between yourself and the moving target.
To take a speed measurement, aim the radar gun so that the object is either moving directly toward the radar gun or directly away from the gun.
So for example, if you wanted to find out the speed of a pitch, then if possible you should stand directly in front of or in most instances behind, but just slightly to one side of the pitcher. This will enable the radar gun to have a clear line of view of the moving target ball enabling a reading to be taken and then displayed in the radar gun display screen.
What does a radar gun measure?
A radar gun, speed gun or radar speed gun as they are often referred to, is an electronic device usually handheld, vehicle mounted or tripod mounted, this device is used to measure the speed of a moving object or target.
Often used by law enforcement to measure the speed of vehicles but also used at spectator sporting events such as baseball to measure the pitch speeds, at cricket matches to measure the bowling speeds and at tennis matches to measure service speeds.
How does a radar gun measure speed?
A radar speed gun is a Doppler radar device, pointing or aiming the radar gun at the moving target, a measurement of speed is achieved by the radar gun. It does this by detecting a change in the frequency of the returned radar signal. This change in frequency is caused by what is known as the Doppler effect.
So for example, the frequency of the returned signal is increased in proportion to the object’s speed of approach if the object is approaching, and the frequency of the return signal is lowered if the object is receding.
How accurate are baseball radar guns?
Baseball radar guns are used to measure the speed of the moving or pitched ball. Due to the fast movement of the ball, a clear line of view of the ball’s trajectory is essential in obtaining an accurate speed measurement.
Most quality speed guns have a target ranges of between 100 and 300 feet, and speed measurement capabilities up to 150 MPH with a +/- 1 MPH accuracy rate.
Other Worthy Mentions
These baseball radar guns didn’t make it into our top picks sections, but we thought that they were still worth a mention.
Capable of speed measurements of up to 200 MPH with a +/- 1 MPH accuracy.
- Continuous mode for instant automatic speed readings.
- Weighs 2.1 lbs.
- RF technology for transmitting wireless data for displaying on optional Bushnell Speed Screens.
For iphone and ipad apps OS 11 or later. Measures velocity, spin rate, spin direction, and more!
- Captures motion data in real-time.
- Video synced with pitch metrics.
- View complete pitch history and trends.
A high Quality speed radar detector, feature packed, perfect for fine tuning your game or getting instant info on the in game action.
- Hands free operation option.
- Automatically finds the fastest speed.
- Built in memory, with 25 recalls.
iOS and Android compatible, helping you to build a more dynamic, better connected and more powerful swing.
- Blast Sensor connects to any baseball bat.
- Record and automatically clip video of every swing.
- Capture video and replay instantly.
Perfect for baseball and softball, swing tracker will help you to practice more efficiently and up your game.
- Precise 3D swing plane/swing path model, with video capture mode.
- Dedicated for iPhone and iPad iOS 12 or later.
- Possible to create groups of players with your friends.