We all know that it’s great being at the ice rink, having fun with family or friends or maybe you enjoy putting hours of practice in to perfect your game, but there can be times when you just can’t get to practice what you want to.
Perhaps there’s too many people about for you to move that puck around quickly at the rink, and you can’t try out that new move that you’ve seen your favorite player make. Well, there is an alternative to the ice rink and its called synthetic ice.
Ok, so we know you’ve already heard of synthetic ice right, that’s why you’re here so let’s just explain a few things about synthetic ice before we start with the reviews.
Often referred to as fake ice, plastic ice or artificial ice Its a misconception to believe that you can’t do the same things on synthetic ice that you can do on real ice.
All those essential moves such as stops, starts, crossovers, backward crossovers, toe kicks, and jumps can all be performed along with power turns and c-cuts.
As a training system that can easily be set up indoors or outdoors, you have the choice as to how often you train or for how long you train without the constraints and sometimes inconvenience that visiting your local ice rink brings.
So if you really want to improve your ice hockey stickhandling, passing, puck movement, shooting, edge work, and one on one battles in tight quarters at your own pace then a synthetic ice system is the way to go.
We’ve taken a look at, and reviewed the best synthetic ice for hockey so that you can decide for yourself which system is best for you.
And don’t forget to head down to our essential accessories section, there’s lot’s of cool stuff there to help you get the best out of your game.
The Best Synthetic Ice Reviewed
|Our Top Pick||Snipers Edge Synthetic Ice|
|Best Starter Kit||Skate Anytime Synthetic Ice for Hockey|
|Best for Training||Hockey Revolution Professional Training Flooring Tile|
|Alternative Best for Training||SuperDeker Advanced Hockey Training System|
Click below to jump to each section in this review.
- Our Top Pick
- Best Starter Kit
- Best for Training
- Alternative Best for Training
- Essential Accessories
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Worthy Mentions
Our Top Pick : Snipers Edge Synthetic Ice
Our Top Pick
Perfect for home ice hockey training, or ice skating fun.
This synthetic ice pack from Snipers Edge makes training and practicing all year round possible.
Each pack contains 32 square feet of synthetic ice panels. You get 4 panels each measuring 2 X 4 feet, and putting them together is a breeze.
The super strong interlocking panel design makes for a really smooth seamless surface, just simply tap down with a rubber mallet to ensure all joints are correctly aligned and connected.
These synthetic ice panels are very sturdy and at a whopping 5/16 of an inch thick, they’re strong, durable and are made to last.
Perfect for use in basements and garages, adding more panels if needed so you can increase your playing area to suit your own requirements.
This synthetic ice system can be used on any sturdy level base indoors and because of it’s UV protected coating it’s great for outdoors too.
No maintenance required here, these double-sided self-lubricating panels are tough and strong enough to withstand the hardest of training sessions.
What We Like:
- Self Lubricating Panels – No maintenance required to keep those skates moving freely, these panels self lubricate.
- Indoor Or Outdoor Use – These synthetic ice panels are UV protected, so outdoor use is an option you may find useful if indoor space is limited.
- Portable Ice Rink – Snipers Edge synthetic ice can be easily set up on firm, level surfaces and when playing time or practice time is over, it’s also quick and easy to dismantled too.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Best Starter Kit: Skate Anytime Synthetic Ice for Hockey
Best Starter Kit
If you want more ‘time on the ice’ then this synthetic ice system from Skate Anytime is a great way of getting more ‘ice time’.
This synthetic ice starter kit will enable you to practice and play more and as we all know, practice makes perfect.
This is our best starter kit choice and as such comes in cheaper than our previous review. The 8-panel starter kit gives you 24 square feet or 56.75″ x 60″ of playing area.
The synthetic panels are lightweight and super easy to slot together and if more playing area is needed then additional packs can be added together to increase the playing area to your preferred size.
The chunky 3 lb synthetic ice panels are 3/8″ thick and thanks to this thick construction it means that you won’t always need to put down plywood or under laminate first, as long as the sub base is solid and level.
So if you want to practice stick handling, passing practice, shooting skills or any other aspect of your game then now you can, whenever you want, rain or shine, inside and thanks to the UV and sunlight protection it has, it can be used outside too.
This really is a great product, and remember you can make the playing surface as big as you want too, it’s just a case of adding more Skate Anytime synthetic ice tiles.
If you need a little more convincing as to how good this package is, then check out the Skate Anytime video below.
These synthetic ice tiles are designed to withstand those tough game, practice, and training sessions which as we all know can get very, shall we say ‘competitive’ at times.
Skate Anytime is so confident in their synthetic ice system that they include a 5-year warranty with this product for your peace of mind.
What We Like:
- Easy To Set Up – Slots together easily, lightweight and portable ice like surface.
- Thick Construction – These tiles are chunky so you won’t always need to put down plywood or under laminate first, as long as the sub base is solid and level.
- Great Warranty Period – A 5 year long warranty comes as standard with this synthetic ice system.
|Check Price on||Product|
|Amazon||Standard 8 panel starter kit|
|Amazon||Deluxe 20 panel starter kit|
|Skate Anytime||Standard 8 panel starter kit|
|Skate Anytime||Deluxe 20 panel starter kit|
Best for Training: Hockey Revolution Professional Training Flooring Tile
Best for Training
A great training routine is vital to staying on top of your game.
This professional training system is perfect for stickhandling and passing practice workouts.
Consisting of 36 pieces, this professional level 117″ x 53.15″ x 0.43″ training system is the perfect choice for stickhandling and passing practice.
Giving you 42.25 sq.ft of practice area, this training system can be used indoors or outdoors and comprises 30 white Tiles and 6 colored tiles (2 x red, 2 x yellow, 2 x green).
The reason for the 6 x colored tiles is for interactive practice sessions courtesy of the Hockey Revolution App.
The app enables you to create workout routines to suit your own style and skill level.
Also included in the package are 2 x my passer one timer to really get you up to speed with your passing and stickhandling techniques.
This training system is designed to help you improve your game by:
- Improving your game reaction speed.
- Getting you to think quicker.
- Training improvement for stickhandling.
- Development of basic body movement and positioning.
- Train your peripheral vision.
What We Like:
- Targeted Training – Passing and stickhandling practice, fine tune your skill level to up your game.
- Interactive App – Set training workouts to suit your current skill and ability level.
- Easy To Set Up – Great for training sessions indoors or outdoors, easy to set up and dismantle.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
Alternative Best for Training: SuperDeker Advanced Hockey Training System
Alternative Best for Training
This training system targets stickhandling and passing practice to help you improve your gameplay.
This hockey training system is suitable for all age groups, giving you valuable practice time whenever and wherever you want it.
This training kit includes 2 x rebounder bands, 1 x epuck and a bottle of zero friction spray to keep the training board surface running smoothly. The spray should be applied every 2 weeks, which gives you around 6 months of use from the included bottle.
Quick feet, quick hands, and peripheral vision all come into play when you start training, the supplied epuck is the key to registering the points on the inbuilt scoreboard.
As the lights come on in different areas of the playing surface, your task is to run the epuck over the light to register the point, which is acknowledged by a beep and a point on the scoreboard when you are successful.
Sensors in the playing surface sense the location of the epuck and set the lights off at different locations around the playing surface.
This means that you need to react quickly to run the epuck over the illuminated target light, its a regulation weight puck too, that plays and feels just like a real hockey puck does.
The included rebounder bands provide fast, crisp pass back action to help really speed up your gameplay and get your mind thinking fast.
What We Like:
- Practice At Your Own Pace – Improve your skill and speed at your own pace, train when you want to and where you want to.
- Great Co-ordination Training – Gets your mind, feet, and hands moving fast to keep up with the lights as they appear on the training surface.
- Rebounder Bands – The rebounder bands provide you with fast pass back practice action.
Check the latest price on Amazon.
This Snipers Edge practice shooting pad not only imitates the feeling of shooting on real ice, but it also helps to protect your sticks from concrete or rough surface damage.
Available in 3 sizes, this 3/16 inch thick shooting pad is built to last.
- Slick, smooth surface, just like ice.
- Great for improving stickhandling and shooting.
- Portable, practice anywhere.
This is a great practice aid, it can help you to get a harder shot, improve stickhandling and get those hands working faster.
- Adjustable weights, from 4 ounces to 12 ounces.
- Rubber padding to help protect the stick, and velcro straps to keep the stick weights in place.
- Practice aid used by the professionals, to help improve game performance.
This high quality regulation size pro hockey goal comes complete with 10’x 6’ backstop.
It’s super strong and rock solid, the 2 inch thick steel frame with UV protected 5 mm netting can be left outside and used in all weather conditions.
The EZ goal even has corner targets for you to perfect your shooting technique.
The frame and net can withstand those wrist and slap shots up to 75 mph.
- Regulation size at 72″ wide x 48″ high.
- Heavy duty 2 inch thick powder coated 18 gauge steel frame.
- An amazing lifetime warranty on the goal and netting.
This regulation 4 foot X 6 foot pro hockey goal net is perfect for corner shot practicing with the included 4 net target pockets.
Strong 12 gauge steel construction frame with puck proof 5 mm netting, foldable system for easy storage.
- 4 (removable) net pocket targets.
- Folds flat for easy storage.
- It can be used with goal EZGoal hockey backstop.
This 10′ x 6′ backstop (no goal included) system is a great addition to your goal net practice or game sessions.
Helps to keep those stray pucks from damaging your property.
- Movable sides for corner shots.
- Strong 19 gauge steel frame.
- Weatherproof construction.
For street hockey and ice hockey this 72 X 48 inch goal and net set is just perfect for those essential training and game sessions.
The all weather construction means those is no excuse not to play.
- Strong 2 inch steel posts.
- Screw in spikes for ice use.
- Heavyweight 25000D polyester netting.
This practice target is compatible with a goal size of 54 inches wide and 44 inches high.
Waterproof construction, this shooting target is only to be used with official 2 5/8″ street hockey balls.
- Full size goalie graphic.
- Easy to set up, adjustable self stick straps.
- NHL approved.
A bulk pack of 50 official ice hockey pucks, smooth sliding with textured side walls.
- Perfect for training and competition use.
- Made from hard durable solid rubber.
- High quality and great value for money.
A case of 12 ice hockey pucks to keep your game and training sessions on track.
- Official regulation size and weight.
- Smooth surface with textured side wall.
- Vulcanized rubber construction.
This fantastic puck rebounder with help you to practice the one timer if you are playing or training with your buddies or on your own.
- 30 inch clamp on puck rebounder.
- Easy to install, clamps on to any shooting pads or synthetic ice tiles.
- Strong and durable machine.
Great for shooting practice these 4 targets easily attach to anywhere on the steel goalposts, so that you can vary your target practice training.
- Attaches magnetically to any metal posts.
- Can withstand the hardest of impacts.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
This is a great shooting practice combo pack, you get 4 X 8 inch and 4 X 6 inch magnetic targets.
- Magnetically attaches to any metal surface.
- Great for all weather use, even freezing conditions.
- For indoor and outdoor use.
Keep those ice skate blades in top condition with this professional sharpening system.
Click the link to check out my full review of the best skate sharpeners.
- The starter grinder pack includes three of the most common hollows used in ice hockey 1/2″, 5/8″ and the 1/2″.
- Used by more than 25 national hockey league teams.
- Everything you need in one bundle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does synthetic ice ruin blades?
Synthetic ice panels are a solid polymer sheet material, usually self-lubricating and made from polyethylene plastic, as your skate blades pass over the surface of the synthetic ice, friction is produced and the blades will eventually dull.
This friction will not ruin your skate blades but it will result in you having to sharpen your blades more often than you would have to do if you were using your skates on real ice.
Can you hockey stop on synthetic ice?
Yes, you can perform hockey stops on synthetic ice is the simple answer to the question. All the same maneuvers such as stops, starts, crossovers, toe kicks, backward crossovers, and jumps that can be carried out on real ice surfaces can be performed on synthetic ice surfaces too.
Can synthetic ice be used outside?
There are many different brands of synthetic ice to choose from, most of the synthetic ice sheets that are available today are UV treated to enable outdoor use of these panels.
It must always be checked with the manufacturer’s recommendations as to whether the system you have is suitable for outside use.
Some training synthetic ice systems have built-in electronic display features and as such would not be suitable for use where the panels could get wet, for instance, if used outside.
How long does synthetic ice last?
A very very long time, up to 30 years in some cases for the higher quality systems. This is largely due to the design and construction of the synthetic ice panels being made from solid polyethylene plastic.
Normal home usage for standard range synthetic ice systems should last for around 10 years, with training and commercial usage systems lasting around 5 years.
Other Worthy Mentions
These synthetic ice systems didn’t make it into our top picks sections, but we thought that they were still worth a mention.
This 10 tile professional grade synthetic ice pack, gives you 22.5 square feet of area to practice your stickhandling, passing, and shooting techniques on.
- All year round practice, great for indoor and outdoor use.
- Quick and easy to assemble, you’ll be good to go in just a matter of minutes.
- Each pack consists of 10 – 18 x 18 x 7/16 inch synthetic ice tiles, making a total playing surface area of 22.5 square feet.
If you want a quick, easy to assemble flooring tile system for hockey practice, then the Snipers Edge Dryland Tiles package is a great place to start.
- Good size practice area of 20 square feet.
- UV coated protection for outdoor use.
- Made in the US, a strong high-quality structure, it can even withstand the weight of a parked car.
A great training aid for stickhandling and shooting practice.
- 10 pack dryland flooring tiles, so you can set up and practice anywhere.
- Pro hockey passer for practicing those one timers.
- UV protection so you can use this training system outdoors too.
Easy to set up and dismantle, practice anywhere, inside or outside with this 10 tile system.
- Each Tile is Sized at 12 inches X 12 Inches.
- Solidly constructed for hard training workouts.
- Slick and super smooth playing surface.
As long as you have a flat surface to lay these tiles down on, you can get on with playing the game.
- 40 tiles, giving you a playing area of 46.9 square feet.
- Easy to put together, and take apart.
- 7/16″ thick tile system that’s tough, strong and durable.
Perfect for all year round hockey practice, inside or outside. Also helps to protect your hockey sticks from ground contact damage.
- 3/16” Inch thick, strong, and engineered to last.
- Sized at 24 x 48 inches, with UV protection and a weatherproof coating.
- Great for stickhandling and shooting practice sessions.